Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Hamilton & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1910 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||John H Hamilton was born in Glasgow in 1851, the son of architect James Hamilton and Catherine McKay. He was educated at Glasgow High School and Glasgow School of Art and served his articles with his father from 1867 to 1872, remaining as a draughtsman until he was taken into partnership in 1877; during his time as draughtsman he spent approximately a year travelling on the continent and in England and Ireland. On his commencement as a partner the firm name became James Hamilton & Son. |
In the same year, 1877, John's first wife Agnes died at the age of about twenty-four on 6 September at 2 Hampden Terrace, Mount Florida. He later married Clara Louisa Markham, with whom he had three children: Mary M (born c.1879), Arthur Donaldson (born c.1882) and Edith C A (born c.1884).
The father and son disagreed and the partnership was broken in 1884 at which point John practised on his own at 212 St Vincent Street. The rift was healed some months before James's death in 1894 when James's office archive was taken to John's office which had moved to 112 Bath Street in the early 1890s. The name James Hamilton & Son was then used from this date until 1907 when it was dropped in preparation for John's son Arthur Donaldson Hamilton being taken into partnership, the firm becoming John Hamilton & Son in 1910. Much of the work of the practice was valuation, notably for the Glasgow City and District Railway and the Caledonian Railway, and arbitration, particularly in respect of the Glasgow Corporation Sewage Scheme. John H Hamilton was admitted FRIBA on 11 June 1906, his proposers being Horatio Kelson Bromhead, John Keppie and C J MacLean; Arthur was admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912.
Arthur was killed in action on 1 July 1916, when serving as a private with the 17th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry (GSA Roll of Honour); he had declined a commission, feeling that he should 'serve in the line with everyone else'. John spent the First World War as architect to the Munition Works Board and thereafter practised alone at 112 Bath Street with the assistance of William James Smith, later Professor at the Glasgow School of Architecture. John died at Crofton Avenue, Glasgow on 22 March 1935, the practice being taken over by his son John G Hamilton; it is not clear whether he was a product of Hamilton's first marriage, or a late child of his second.
All three generations of Hamiltons were closely associated with Rothesay, where they had weekend houses. They built many villas there and in the surrounding area.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|212, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1910||After 1924|| |
|112, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1929 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIBA Journal||9 November 1935||v43||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p38 Obituary of John Hamilton|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Mitchell Library||Gildard's 'Some Old Glasgow Architects' supplementary manuscript|| || |
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Information from personal recollections of the late Professor William James Smith|