Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Williamson & Inglis |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1897 |
|Ended: ||c. 1909 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Williamson was born in Kirkcaldy on 19 April 1871, the son of William Williamson and his wife Joanna Hutchison. He was educated at Kirkcaldy High School and was articled to J W Hislop of Kirkcaldy c.1887; but after two years he transferred to the office of James Bow Dunn enabling him to take classes at Heriot-Watt College. He remained with Dunn as assistant until 1895 when he returned home to commence independent practice in Kirkcaldy: Dunn and his partner from 1894 James Leslie Findlay had a Kirkcaldy connection having won the competition for the Adam Smith Hall in the previous year. |
Late in 1897 Williamson took the slightly older John Alexander Russell Inglis into partnership. Born on 6 March 1870, Inglis had been a fellow apprentice in Dunn's office which he entered in 1886, studying at Edinburgh College of Art and Heriot-Watt College and the 'work classes' of the Edinburgh Architectural Association run by John Watson. At the end of his articles in 1891 Inglis moved first to the office of Hippolyte Jean Blanc and then to Oxford as assistant to Harry Wilkinson Moore. He passed the qualifying exam in April 1893 and spent that spring measuring and sketching at the cathedrals of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Hereford. He applied for Associateship of the RIBA later that year and was admitted on 8 January 1894, his proposers being William Leiper, Arthur Cates and Ralph Selden Wornum. In 1897 he won the Soane medallion with a design for a market hall enabling him to travel in Italy and Sicily for nearly a year before taking up his partnership. Watercolours from his travels of Sicily Verona and Pistoia were exhibited at the RSA in 1899-1901.
The partnership quickly made a name for high quality Renaissance and arts and crafts work but it came at a cost. Overwork resulted in Inglis suffering from chronic insomnia and a desperate overdose of a sleeping draught resulted in his death at his home, 26 Pitt Street, Edinburgh, on 9 June 1901, two days before he was to be married. He left moveable estate of £1048 5/1 and was buried at Dean Cemetery. Williamson then closed the Edinburgh office and did not take another partner at that time but he appears to have still retained the name of the practice for some years thereafter.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|31, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1897||c. 1901|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.