Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||S B Lithgow & Cameron |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1924 |
|Ended: ||c. 1926(?) |
|Bio Notes: ||Samuel Beglan (or Beglain) Lithgow was born at 44 Alexander Street, Airdrie on 17 September 1858, the son of Thomas Lithgow, lath splitter and his wife Janet Beglan or Beglain. The 1891 census indicates that his original profession was that of measurer. Around 1888 he married Annie McAra Spence, also from Airdrie; two children, Margaret and Annie, are recorded in the 1891 census. Late in 1891 or early in 1892 Lithgow was taken into partnership by George McCulloch Brand, who was five years younger, the practice being styled Brand & Lithgow with an office at 131 West Regent Street. This partnership was dissolved in 1915, probably because of lack of business or separate wartime commitments. |
Late in 1918 or early in 1919 Lithgow recommenced practice at 156 St Vincent Street, and in 1924 he took his former pupil Donald John Cameron into partnership as S B Lithgow & Cameron. Cameron had been born on 10 May 1894, was had been articled to Brand & Lithgow on 5 September 1910, studying at the Glasgow School of Architecture under Eugène Bourdon from 1911 to 1916. His training had been interrupted by the First World War but he had later assisted in the offices of Thomas Lennox Watson and of Thomas Baird, and in the Architectural Department of the shipbuilding company A Stephen & Son, where he had worked on interior design. He had commenced practice on his own account in Glasgow in 1922. He obtained automatic admittance as LRIBA in June 1925, at which date he was living at 149 Watt Street, Glasgow.
Lithgow appears to have retired shortly after the formation of the partnership, Cameron continuing to practise alone thereafter.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|183, West George Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1925 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1926||St Mark's RC Church||Alexandria|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no3133 (microfilm reel 36); F no5105 (combined box 56)|