Basic Biographical Details

Name: Samuel Beglan Lithgow (or Samuel Beglain Lithgow)
Designation: Architect
Born: 17 September 1858
Died: 24 June 1934
Bio Notes: Samuel Beglan (or Beglain) Lithgow was born at 44 Alexander Street, Airdrie on 17 September 1858, the son of Thomas Lithgow, lath splitter and his wife Janet Beglan or Beglain. The 1891 census indicates that his original profession was that of measurer. Around 1888 he married Annie McAra Spence, also from Airdrie; two children, Margaret and Annie, are recorded in the 1891 census.

Late in 1891 or early in 1892 Lithgow was taken into partnership by George McCulloch Brand, who was five years younger, the practice being styled Brand & Lithgow with an office at 131 West Regent Street. This partnership was dissolved in 1915, probably because of lack of business or separate wartime commitments and Lithgow continued the John Menzies warehouseproject alone.

By November 1917 Lithgow was in practice at 156 St Vincent Street, and in 1924 he took his former pupil Donald John Cameron into partnership as S B Lithgow, but shortly thereafter he appears to have retired. He died of bronchitis and pneumonia at his home, 48 Holmlea Road, Glasgow on 23 June 1934.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 710, Garturk Street, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivateBefore 1891After 1893 
Item 2 of 7Cairnhill Cottages, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, ScotlandPrivateBefore 1896After 1899 
Item 3 of 7131, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 19021915 
Item 4 of 740, Dinmont Road, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate1904  
Item 5 of 7156, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1917 *  
Item 6 of 7183, West George Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1925 *  
Item 7 of 748, Holmlea Road, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate1934  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Brand & LithgowLate 1891 or early 1982c. 1915Partner 
Item 2 of 2S B Lithgow & Cameron1924c. 1926(?)Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 19After 1888Clyde Dye Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 2 of 191896Warehouse for John McQueen  GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 191902Park Saw Mills  GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 191902Possil Pottery  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 5 of 191903Sentinel Works  GlasgowScotlandWith Archibald Leitch
Item 6 of 191904Covent Garden Market, warehouse  GlasgowScotland 
Item 7 of 191904Polmadie Iron Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 8 of 191905Shop and hall, Lacy Street / Glasgow RoadPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 9 of 191905The Burgh BarPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 10 of 191906Sentinel Works  GlasgowScotlandFurther additions
Item 11 of 191906Stables, Renton Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 12 of 19c. 1907Dalmarnock Weaving FactoryDalmarnock GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 191910Masonic Hall  GlasgowScotland 
Item 14 of 191910Paladium CinemaScotstoun GlasgowScotland 
Item 15 of 191911Sentinel Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 16 of 191913Hillhead Picture House  GlasgowScotland 
Item 17 of 191914John Menzies, 90-94 West Nile Street  GlasgowScotlandProject continued by Lithgow when partnership with Brand dissolved
Item 18 of 191914Polmadie Iron Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 19 of 191914Whitevale Foundry  GlasgowScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories     

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Research by Iain Paterson