Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Kennedy & Dalglish (sometimes misspelt Kennedy & Dalgleish) |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Before 1861(?) |
|Ended: ||Before 1898 |
|Bio Notes: ||George Penrose Kennedy was born in 1821, the son of Lewis Kennedy, subsequently factor of the Drummond Castle estates of Peter Robert Drummond Burrell. The Kennedys were an important family of landscape gardeners, and on his appointment to the Drummond estates Lewis worked initially from 5 Alexander Square, Brompton but with a Scottish base at Pitkellony House, Muthill, either in or just before 1822. Lewis Kennedy appears to have secured for his son George a place in the office of Sir Charles Barry then engaged in proposals for remodelling Drummond Castle as a neo-Norman pile. From the albums sold by Sotheby's in 1890 (sold to Weinreb from whom acquired by the Canadian Centre for Architecture) it appears that in addition to other major Barry projects, he was involved in the re-creation of the formal gardens at Drumlanrig in 1840; he probably began the restoration of those at Drummond Castle when still in Barry's employ and made the designs for the banqueting tent erected there for Queen Victoria's visit on 2 September 1842. Thereafter he assisted Francis Cranmer Penrose with his archaeological investigations in Athens, and by 1849 he was in practice on his own account at Sussex Chambers, St James's. |
Sometime before 1855 Kennedy established an office at 119 Hope Street, Glasgow, perhaps initially only as a branch office, but by 1868 the Glasgow office, now at 160 Hope Street, had become his sole address with Robert Dalglish as partner there from at least 1861. Dalglish (sometimes misspelt Dalgleish) was born in 1838 or 1839 the son of William Dalglish, mill manager and his wife Margaret McKell, and had been assistant, if not a pupil of Kennedy before being taken into partnership. His early practice, like Kennedy's, was mainly in West Perthshire associated with the Drummond Castle estate of Lord Willoughby d'Eresby.
The practice was not exclusively Scottish as the 'Architect's Engineer's and Building Trades' Directory' of 1868 refers to at least one residence in Liverpool and 'numerous churches, schools, factories, mills, hotels, &c in Scotland and Wales'. This same directory also lists unspecified 'country seats, residences and villas' at Paisley, Johnstone, Cambuslang, Govan, Coatbridge, Glasgow, Kintyre, Loch Katrine, Largs, Arrochar, Ayr, Dumbarton, Rutherglen, Kincardine and Crieff.
The Drummond Estate connection was lost when Kennedy's brother John, who had succeeded his father as factor at Drummond Castle in 1868, was dismissed in 1877 and his family was required to leave Pitkillony. By that date Kennedy does not appear to have been a very active partner, and the partnership was finally dissolved in the difficult conditions following the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank in 1878, Kennedy remaining at 40 Union Street and Dalglish moving out to 178 St Vincent Street. Kennedy retired to Sunnyside, Lewisham, Kent, and died in 1898. Dalglish died on 25 January 1898 at Reuther Cottage, Rutherglen, his age being given as fifty-nine.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|160, Hope Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1868|| || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.