Basic Biographical Details

Name: Robert Dalglish (sometimes misspelt Robert Dalgleish)
Designation: Architect
Born: 1838 or 1839
Died: 25 January 1898
Bio Notes: Robert Dalglish (sometimes misspelt Dalgleish) was born in 1838 or 1839, the son of William Dalglish, mill manager and his wife Margaret McKell. He was assistant, if not a pupil of George Penrose Kennedy and was in partnership with him from at least 1861. His early practice, like Kennedy's, was mainly in West Perthshire associated with the Drummond Castle estate of Lord Willoughby d'Eresby. By the later 1860s the practice had moved to Glasgow, based at 160 Hope Street in 1868.

The partnership of Kennedy & Dalglish was dissolved in the difficult conditions following the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank in 1878, Kennedy remaining at 40 Union Street and Dalglish moving out to 178 St Vincent Street, where he remained until his death of a cerebral haemorrhage on 25 January 1898 at Reuther Cottage, Rutherglen, his age being given as fifty-nine. He was unmarried.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 3160, Hope Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1868  
Item 2 of 3Reuther Cottage, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, ScotlandPrivate188825 January 1898Place of death
Item 3 of 3178, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1888After 1894 

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2George Penrose KennedyAfter 1852Before 1861AssistantMay initially have been apprentice
Item 2 of 2Kennedy & Dalglish (sometimes misspelt Kennedy & Dalgleish)Before 18611878Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 131861Callander Free ChurchCallander PerthshireScotland 
Item 2 of 131864St Helenís ChurchTheddlethorpe St Helen LincolnshireEngland 
Item 3 of 131864Trossachs InnCallander PerthshireScotlandRebuilding after fire
Item 4 of 13Before 1868Culdees CastleMuthill PerthshireScotlandFormal gardens
Item 5 of 13Before 1868Tulliallan Castle, gardens and lodgeKincardine-on-Forth FifeScotlandFormal gardens
Item 6 of 131871Reformed Presbyterian ChurchRutherglen LanarkshireScotland 
Item 7 of 131876Rutherglen Town HallRutherglen LanarkshireScotlandAddition of municipal offices - carried out in association with John Thomson
Item 8 of 131877Blairtum ParkRutherglen LanarkshireScotland 
Item 9 of 131881Congregational Church, WardlawhillRutherglen LanarkshireScotland 
Item 10 of 13c. 1881Glasgow Municipal Buildings  GlasgowScotlandCompetition design under a Crest with motto 'revirescum'
Item 11 of 131882Woodlands School  GlasgowScotland 
Item 12 of 131889Caledonian Ironworks  GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 131894Woodside Public School  GlasgowScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories     

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1British Architectural Library, RIBARIBA Biographical Files