Basic Biographical Details

Name: Brand & Lithgow
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Late 1891 or early 1982
Ended: c. 1915
Bio Notes: George McCulloch Brand was born at 44 Shamrock Street, Glasgow on 18 January 1863, the son of William Brand, carver and gilder (and later art critic) and his wife Agnes McCulloch. His professional training is not yet known but in the 1891 census he was described as a measurer, while his experiments with ferro-concrete suggest that he may have had some engineering experience.

Late in 1891 or early in 1892 he formed a partnership with Samuel Beglan (or Beglain) Lithgow, the practice being based at 131 West Regent Street. Lithgow had been born at 44 Alexander Street, Airdrie on 17 September 1858, the son of Thomas Lithgow, lath splitter and his wife Janet Beglan or Beglain. The 1891 census indicates that his original profession was that of measurer. Around 1888 he had married Annie McAra Spence, also from Airdrie; two children, Margaret and Annie, are recorded in the 1891 census.

The partnership of Brand & Lithgow was dissolved in or about 1915, probably because of lack of business or separate wartime commitments.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1131, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 19021915 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 6Samuel Beglan Lithgow (or Samuel Beglain Lithgow)Late 1891 or early 1982c. 1915Partner 
Item 2 of 6George McCulloch BrandLate 1891 or early 1982c. 1915Partner 
Item 3 of 6Joseph Wilson1903c. 1908Apprentice 
Item 4 of 6Joseph Wilsonc. 19081910Assistant(?) 
Item 5 of 6Donald John Cameron5 September 1910c. 1914Apprentice 
Item 6 of 6James Reid19141917Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 19After 1891Clyde Dye Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 2 of 191896Warehouse for John McQueen  GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 191902Park Saw Mills  GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 191902Possil Pottery  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 5 of 191903Sentinel Works  GlasgowScotlandWith Archibald Leitch
Item 6 of 191904Covent Garden Market, warehouse  GlasgowScotland 
Item 7 of 191904Polmadie Iron Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 8 of 191905Shop and hall, Lacy Street / Glasgow RoadPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 9 of 191905The Burgh BarPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 10 of 191906Sentinel Works  GlasgowScotlandFurther additions.
Item 11 of 191906Stables, Renton Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 12 of 19c. 1907Dalmarnock Weaving FactoryDalmarnock GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 191910Masonic Hall  GlasgowScotland 
Item 14 of 191910Paladium CinemaScotstoun GlasgowScotland 
Item 15 of 191911Sentinel Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 16 of 191913Hillhead Picture House  GlasgowScotland 
Item 17 of 191914John Menzies, 90-94 West Nile Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 18 of 191914Polmadie Iron Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 19 of 191914Whitevale Foundry  GlasgowScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.