Basic Biographical Details

Name: D & J Hamilton
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1834
Ended: December 1843
Bio Notes: David and James Hamilton practised mainly prior to 1840, and therefore fall outwith the scope of the Dictionary of Scottish Architects; see Howard Colvin, 'Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840' for biographical information and job list.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5James HamiltonBefore 1830December 1843Partner 
Item 2 of 5David HamiltonBefore 1834December 1843Partner 
Item 3 of 5John Baird the SecondEarly 1837December 1843Assistant(?) 
Item 4 of 5Thomas GildardDecember 1838December 1843Apprentice 
Item 5 of 5John Thomas Rochead1838 or early 18391839Draughtsman 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 251829Priory LodgeLargs AyrshireScotland 
Item 2 of 25c. 1830WarristonLargs AyrshireScotland 
Item 3 of 251833Glasgow Necropolis, screen wall and Bridge of Sighs etcDennistoun GlasgowScotlandBridge of Sighs etc and general processional way with gates, gatepiers and gatehouse
Item 4 of 251834Dunoon Parish ChurchDunoon ArgyllScotlandEnlargement
Item 5 of 251835Cleland Testimonial Building  GlasgowScotlandOriginal building
Item 6 of 251835St Paul  GlasgowScotland 
Item 7 of 251836Normal School  GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 251837Glasgow Necropolis, Egyptian Vaults  GlasgowScotland 
Item 9 of 251837Lennox CastleLennoxtown StirlingshireScotlandOriginal mansion house
Item 10 of 25After 1837British Linen Bank Head Office  GlasgowScotlandOriginal building. Colvin gives 1840-41.
Item 11 of 25c. 1837Brooksby HouseLargs AyrshireScotland 
Item 12 of 251838Mosesfield ParkSpringburn Park GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 251839Hutcheson's Boys' School  GlasgowScotland 
Item 14 of 251839Royal Infirmary  GlasgowScotlandWest extension
Item 15 of 251839Western Club  GlasgowScotlandOriginal building
Item 16 of 251840Clydesdale Bank  GlasgowScotland 
Item 17 of 251840Western Bank, Glasgow  GlasgowScotland 
Item 18 of 25c. 1840Camis Eskan HouseCraigendoran DunbartonshireScotlandAddition
Item 19 of 25c. 1840Stonebyres HouseLesmahagow LanarkshireScotlandAdditions
Item 20 of 251841Hamilton Palace Mausoleum and keeper's lodge  LanarkshireScotlandOriginal scheme, later superseded by Bryce's
Item 21 of 251841Union Bank  GlasgowScotlandBuchanan Mansion incorporated
Item 22 of 251842Free Church, AscogRothesayButeArgyll & ButeScotlandJames Hamilton mainly responsible by then.
Item 23 of 251843Glenburn HydropathicRothesayButeButeScotlandOriginal building
Item 24 of 251843Muirshiel HouseLochwinnoch RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 25 of 251843St FillansLargs AyrshireScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.