Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||J & J Armour |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1 January 1903 |
|Ended: ||29 April 1949 |
|Bio Notes: ||No details are yet available of the background and training of the elder John Armour. His son John was born in 1866 and educated at Kilmarnock Academy and Kilmarnock School of Art from 1880 to 1883. He attended the architecture classes at Glasgow School of Art and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College from 1883 onwards, winning two prizes and a year's scholarship for his drawings and lecture notes, and all the while spending the rest of his time working for his father. During the summer holidays he travelled in France, Germany and Belgium, and every spring and autumn for twelve years attended the School of Art visits to the Cathedral towns of England. He commenced practice as a principal in 1896 and his father took him into partnership along with a brother in 1903, the firm becoming J & J Armour. He was elected LRIBA in early 1911, his proposers being his teacher Alexander McGibbon, Andrew Robertson and James Milne Monro. John Armour senior died in 1915 and the practice was continued by John junior thereafter. |
In 1922 Hugh Harvey was taken into partnership, although the practice title remained unchanged as J & J Armour. Harvey had been born in 1878 and articled to John Armour senior in 1893. He had studied at the Royal Technical College, Glasgow under Charles Gourlay, receiving tuition in sanitary engineering from Gilbert Thompson and in civil engineering from Professor Moneur, and had spent his summer holidays sketching and measuring old buildings in England and Scotland. He had remained as assistant after completing his apprenticeship, until being taken into partnership.
John Armour junior was elected FRIBA in 1921, proposed by John Watson, James Lochhead and McGibbon. Harvey was registered as an architect on 19 December 1933 and was admitted LRIBA on 13 April 1943, his proposers being William Cowie, James Houston and John Armour junior. At that time he was still a partner in the Armour firm.
John Armour junior died on 29 April 1949. No details are available of his brother who may have practised in a different capacity.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|43, Bridgegate, Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland||Business||1903||After 1943|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Close, Robert||1992||Ayrshire and Arran, an Illustrated Architectural Guide|| ||Edinburgh: RIAS||Dreghorn Parish Church Hall, p 63|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIBA Journal||July 1949|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p427 Obituary of John junior|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Additional information from Iain Paterson|