Basic Site Details

Name: Cowdenbeath Free Church
Town, district or village: Cowdenbeath
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: Builder of new church of 1891-2: A Wilson of Cowdenbeath. Cost of new building: between 2,000 and 2,200.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Cowdenbeath Guthrie Memorial UF Church  
Item 2 of 2Guthrie Memorial ChurchYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1High StreetYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 5September 1862 Foundation stoneOriginal church
Item 2 of 51863 OpenedOriginal church
Item 3 of 514 February 1891 Advertisement for tendersNew church
Item 4 of 525 August 1892 OpenedNew church
Item 5 of 523 September 1905 Advertisement for tendersAlterations and additions


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2Andrew Scobie  18911892 
Item 2 of 2Thomas Hyslop Ure  1905 Alterations and additions


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 1Ewing, W Annals of the Free Church  Volume II, p 142

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 7Architect6 March 1891XLV Supplement, p 4
Item 2 of 7ArchitectLate 1892XLVIII p 192
Item 3 of 7Builder1892LXIII p 232
Item 4 of 7Building NewsSeptember 1862IX p 265
Item 5 of 7Building News1892LXIII p 336
Item 6 of 7Dunfermline Journal14 February 1891   
Item 7 of 7Dunfermline Journal23 September 1905