Basic Site Details

Name: West Linton School and Episcopal Church
Town, district or village: West Linton
City or county: Peeblesshire
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: 'St. Mungo’s Church began in a simple way. On 25 July 1851 John Ord Mackenzie of Dolphinton recorded that ‘We had no clergyman in our chapel last Sunday, and a large Party went to the opening of a small room in West Linton which Mr. Forbes has got fitted up as a school room on weekdays and a place for the performance of the English Church Service on Sundays’.
The present building was started soon afterwards, and its unusual shape, essentially northwest-southeast with a small chancel on the northeast reflects the fact that for the next generation it served both as a school room and church. It was one of the first of the ‘Gladstone’ Churches built by local landowners aimed at reviving the Episcopalian tradition in Scotland. During the week the chancel was curtained off. In 1857 the Bishop of Glasgow consecrated the church and preached the inaugural sermon.
During the 1870s a separate school was built a little further down Chapel Brae. It was designed to accommodate 60 pupils and their teachers. The architects were Hay and Henderson and the church was altered at the same time. The chancel was enlarged and the present bell tower and porch added. The 19th Century pews were re-placed with chairs a few years ago. The school was closed in 1909, when the present West Linton Primary School was opened, with, for the time, advanced teaching facilities.' (

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1St Mungo's Episcopal ChurchYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 2School  
Item 2 of 2Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Chapel Brae  


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 418511852Construction 
Item 2 of 4April 1851  Drawings dated
Item 3 of 41857 Consecrated 
Item 4 of 41870s Alteration/conversionAdapted for use as church alone.


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4John Henderson Ac. 1851 Building designed as both school and church.
Item 2 of 4George Henderson B1870s Adapted for use as church alone.
Item 3 of 4Hay & Henderson B1870s Adapted for use as church alone.
Item 4 of 4William Hay B1870s Adapted for use as church alone.


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 2Cruft, Kitty, Dunbar, John and Fawcett, Richard2006Borders (The Buildings of Scotland) New Haven and London: Yale University Pressp751
Item 2 of 2  Accessed November 2013

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSList of works by John Henderson compiled by Mrs Elizabeth Stella Phillips