Basic Site Details

Name: Balgillo
Town, district or village: Broughty Ferry
City or county: Dundee
Country: Scotland
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Balgillo HouseYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Villa  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Claypots RoadYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 5c. 1880  Original house
Item 2 of 51895  Alterations, including new library
Item 3 of 5After 18951932 Alterations to house, lodge and new garage
Item 4 of 5c. 1904  Billiard room
Item 5 of 51907  Garden laid out


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 7John Murray Robertson  1895 Alterations
Item 2 of 7James Findlay AAfter 1901 Alterations including work on lodge and garage
Item 3 of 7David Smith AAfter 1903 Alterations including work on lodge and garage - as chief assistant to James Findlay
Item 4 of 7Godfrey Daniel Bower Shepherd Bc. 1904 Billiard room
Item 5 of 7John Donald Mills Bc. 1904 Billiard room
Item 6 of 7Mills & Shepherd Bc. 1904 Billiard room
Item 7 of 7(Sir) Robert Stodart Lorimer  1907 Garden laid out


The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
Item 1 of 1Buist, J C - of Don Brothers Buistfor original house, and 1895 and c.1904 alterations


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 1Savage, Peter1980Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers Edinburgh: Paul Harris Publishing, 1980 (also paperback ed, London & Edinburgh: Steve Savage, 2005)p175

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Dundee Archive and Record CentreJohn Murray Robertson/James Findlay Collection (from Wellwood Leslie Architects) GD/WL Bundle 5 (13 sheets drawings
Item 2 of 4Dundee Planning Department/NMRSDundee Approved Duplicate Plans (Originals in NMRS for dates 1867-1883; otherwise on microfilm) For Robertson work
Item 3 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection LOR D/3
Item 4 of 4RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers John Donald Mills: F v17 p63 no1128 (microfilm reel 12)