Basic Biographical Details

Name: Beveridge & Dallachy
Born: c. 1935
Died: After 1975(?)
Bio Notes: Thomas Johnston Beveridge studied at the School of Architecture, Edinburgh College of Art from 1904, receiving his diploma in July 1909. He was awarded a National Art Survey Scholarship in 1908 and a travelling bursary in 1909. He completed his training in the offices of John Kinross for whom he retained a life-long affection and shared his artistic bias and love of the Renaissance, and Sir Robert Lorimer. From 1910 to 1914 he spent time studying old work in London, Cambridge, Guildford, Hampton Court and elsewhere, and in the latter year began collecting material for his book 'English Renaissance Woodwork 1660-1730', published in 1921. In his preface he indicates the origin of this publication: 'In 1910 I found that I had the opportunity for a prolonged measuring tour. On the advice of Mr John Kinross RSA Edinburgh, I began to study the woodwork of the period of Sir Christopher Wren, with the object of publishing drawings of it in book form later on'. Several entries in the Scott Morton Letterbook of 1909 refer to Beveridge's work with Plenderleith, the firm's craftsman, on the carvings at Ardtornish, during which he must have developed an interest in fine woodwork. Beveridge was both architect and designer throughout his life.

He commenced practice on his own account in 1920, at 22 Ainslie Place, Edinburgh, and in 1924 moved to 248 West George Street, Glasgow where he specialised in domestic architecture in a Scottish traditional style. He was an assistant teacher at Glasgow School of Architecture for eight hours per week from 1928 to 1930. He was elected LRIBA in 1931, his proposers being John Watson, Thomas Lumsden Taylor and Thomas Harold Hughes.

By c.1935 Beveridge had taken John Eadie Waddel Dallachy into partnership. Dallachy had been born on 31 May 1904 and articled to Thomas Andrew Millar on 11 November 1921, transferring after four years to the office of Keppie & Henderson for the final year of his apprenticeship. He had studied at the Royal Technical College and School of Art, Glasgow from 1923, gaining a travelling bursary in September 1926 which allowed him to spend ten days in London and Oxford. In 1928 he had been awarded his diploma and had also won the John Keppie Travelling Scholarship of 100. He had passed the qualifying exam in Edinburgh in July that year, and had been admitted ARIBA at the end of the year, his proposers being Keppie, John Watson and Thomas Harold Hughes. From 1928 to 1931 he had worked as an assistant to Wylie Wright & Wylie but had been made redundant in 1933, at which time he had been living at 7 Orr Square, Paisley.

On 6 March 1939 Beveridge was elected FRIBA, his proposers being Hughes again, William Ross and Professor William James Smith. His nomination papers state that his output included ship decoration, foundry work and the design of reinforced concrete buildings, bridges etc., in association with Macdonald & Partners of Glasgow. However his obituary in the Glasgow Herald attributed Beveridge's practice with a wider range of buildings: schools, industrial estates and country houses, along with quality oak furnishings for Glasgow Cathedral and Clarence House.

In 1957 Dallachy became an Associate of the RSA. Beveridge died in July 1964, Dallachy on 9 April 1995.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this :
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 4Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness   
Item 2 of 4248, West George Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1950 *After 1953 
Item 3 of 4257, West George Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1955 *After 1970 
Item 4 of 48, Fitzroy Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1975 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Thomas Johnston Beveridgec. 19351964Partner 
Item 2 of 3John Eadie Waddel Dallachyc. 1935After 1975(?)Partner 
Item 3 of 3Colin Macaulay Middletonc. 1975 Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 23c. 1935ClevedenKillearn StirlingshireScotland 
Item 2 of 23c. 1935House, Pendicle RoadBearsden GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 23c. 1935Kelburne Cricket ClubPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 4 of 231937Glasgow Cathedral  GlasgowScotlandFurniture in Blacader aisle
Item 5 of 231938Johnstone Infants' SchoolJohnstone RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 6 of 23194797-103 King Street and Bridgegate   GlasgowScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 7 of 231947New structures, Scottish Tar Distillers Ltd  GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 231948Scottish Tar Distillers Ltd  GlasgowScotland 
Item 9 of 231950Factory, Broomland Road and Govan Road  GlasgowScotlandArchitects for extension and alterations to factory. As T J Beveridge & Dallachy
Item 10 of 231950School, PriesthillPriesthill GlasgowScotland 
Item 11 of 231950St Colomba Church of Scotland, ObanOban ArgyllshireScotlandTo prepare plans for reconstruction with additions
Item 12 of 231950Town Hall, ObanOban ArgyllshireScotlandTo prepare plans, as Thomas J Beveridge & Dallachy
Item 13 of 231953Royal Bank of Scotland branch office and business premises  GlasgowScotlandAlterations and additions at Hope St
Item 14 of 2310 April 1953Premises of F J Beveridge & Co Ltd, North Wallace Street  GlasgowScotlandTo prepare plans for alterations and additions
Item 15 of 2319 June 1953Hillhead Established ChurchHillhead GlasgowScotlandPlans prepared for alterations and additions
Item 16 of 2326 June 1953Premises of Bull's Metal & Marines Ltd, Bulldale StreetYoker GlasgowScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 17 of 231955Hillhead Established ChurchHillhead GlasgowScotlandSession room added
Item 18 of 231955Premises of Samuel Dow Ltd, Fox StreetGovanhill GlasgowScotland 
Item 19 of 2322 March 1957Protestant Primary School  GlasgowScotlandper Builder p572
Item 20 of 237 November 1958Hillhead Established ChurchHillhead GlasgowScotlandplanned extension per Builder p773
Item 21 of 231961St Andrew's ChurchCambuslang GlasgowScotland 
Item 22 of 231961St Margaret's Church HallKnightswood GlasgowScotland 
Item 23 of 231963Alexandria Parish ChurchBalloch DunbartonshireScotland 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this :
Item 1 of 3RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 2 of 3RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 3 of 3RIBA1975RIBA Directory of practices   

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this :
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 8Builder24 November 1950  p550
Item 2 of 8Builder10 February 1950  p214
Item 3 of 8Builder9 June 1950  p793
Item 4 of 8Builder10 April 1953  p581
Item 5 of 8Builder19 June 1953  p969
Item 6 of 8Builder26 June 1953  p1004
Item 7 of 8Builder11 September 1953  p412
Item 8 of 8Builder14 January 1955  p116