Basic Biographical Details

Name: J P Alison & George Hobkirk
Designation:  
Born: Early 1920s
Died: After 1937(?)
Bio Notes: James Pearson Alison appears to have belonged to Dalkeith (HS says he was born in Eskbank - no reference) as he shared the address of Rosehill with the landscape painter Thomas Alison who was probably a brother. He was educated at the Edinburgh Institution from 1876 to 1878. Articled to Robert Thornton Shiells, he remained with him as a draughtsman until September 1885, studying at the Royal Scottish Academy School of Art, at Professor Baldwin Brown's History of Architecture classes at Edinburgh University, and at the Heriot-Watt Institute classes on Sanitation. After leaving Thornton Shiells he devoted several months to study before entering the office of Charles Davidson of Paisley in March 1886, and remained there until setting up practice on his own account in Hawick two years later. He visited most of the cathedral cities of England and travelled Normany, Brittany and the Netherlands.

Alison was admitted FRIBA on 2 December 1907, his proposers being Harold Ogle Tarbolton, Hippolyte Jean Blanc and James Bow Dunn. His work usually had a quiet distinction but a few of his buildings have flashes of originality. His RIBA obituary describes him as 'a man of kindly disposition' and as a keen antiquarian. As such he supervised the excavation of the 13th-century chapel at Hermitage, and wrote a pamphlet on the results of his excavations which he donated to the Ecclesiological & Hawick Archaeological Society.

From the early 1920s he practised in partnership with George Hobkirk, of whom no details are known. The partnership continued until Alison's death at Hawick on 19 November 1932; he left moveable estate of 3,093 15s 3d. His practice continued for at least a time under the existing title of J P Alison & Hobkirk. The firm of Aitken & Turnbull is the successor of this practice.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this :
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 245, Bridge Street, Hawick, Roxburghshire, ScotlandBusinessEarly 1920s1954 
Item 2 of 222, Buccleuch Street, Hawick, Roxburghshire 1955  

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4James Pearson AlisonEarly 1920s1932Partner 
Item 2 of 4George M HobkirkEarly 1920sAfter 1937(?)Partner 
Item 3 of 4Joseph Murray Aitken1936 Apprentice 
Item 4 of 4Joseph Murray Aitken1951 Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 221910Wilton LodgeHawick RoxburghshireScotlandConversion to museum
Item 2 of 221913St George's UF ChurchHawick RoxburghshireScotlandRebuilding
Item 3 of 221920sCouncil HousingHawick RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 4 of 221920sCouncil Housing, Renwick TerraceHawick RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 5 of 221920sCouncil Housing, RosebankHawick RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 6 of 221923Bemersyde HouseBemersyde BerwickshireScotlandRemodelling for Earl Haig
Item 7 of 22c. 1925Rutherford Lodge  RoxburghshireScotlandRemodelling
Item 8 of 221926Allars UF Church and hallHawick RoxburghshireScotlandAdditions and furnishings, including communion table and font
Item 9 of 221927Linton Parish ChurchLinton, Morebattle RoxburghshireScotlandRepairs
Item 10 of 221929The PavilionHawick RoxburghshireScotlandPlan of new entrance to circle
Item 11 of 221930Wilton Parish ManseHawick RoxburghshireScotlandProposed alterations
Item 12 of 221931Blackfriars ChurchJedburgh RoxburghshireScotlandHall added at south
Item 13 of 22c. 1931Relief ChurchKelso RoxburghshireScotlandRemodelled as Roxy Cinema
Item 14 of 221933Hawick Cottage HospitalHawick RoxburghshireScotlandX-ray department
Item 15 of 221935Selkirk Gas Company premisesSelkirk SelkirkshireScotland 
Item 16 of 221936Taddei Cafe and Billiard SaloonHawick RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 17 of 2219374 Wellington StreetHawick RoxburghshireScotlandProposed alterations
Item 18 of 221937Langton Mill FarmDuns BerwickshireScotland 
Item 19 of 221939Drumlanrig's TowerHawick RoxburghshireScotlandConversion of part for ballroom
Item 20 of 221953Burnfoot Parish ChurchHawick RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 21 of 221953Ladylaw HouseHawick RoxburghshireScotlandProperty split into two
Item 22 of 2212 February 1954Church of Scotland Hall and Church, Bankfoot Housing SiteHawick RoxburghshireScotlandPlans in hand for new hall and church

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this :
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder12 February 1954  p321

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this :
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 3Hawick MuseumPlans  
Item 2 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDrawings Collection  
Item 3 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSR E Scott Collection (from firm of J P Alison and Hobkirk)