Basic Site Details

Name: Dailly Parish Churchyard, Mausoleum of the Fergussons of Kilkerran
Town, district or village: Dailly
City or county: Ayrshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Mausoleum  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1Before 1748 Build/construction 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1William AdamArchitectABefore 1748  

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Dailly Parish ChurchOld Dailly Parish Church (Canmore ID 62587) built in the 17th century and now in ruins was abandoned when a new church was built at Milcavish, afterwards called New Dailly in 1690. This church was taken down in 1758 but had been rebuilt as the present parish church by 1766. (Canmore ID 40863). The proposed demolition and rebuilding of the church in 1881 was not progressed - see separate item.

"In 1902 the Heritors considered employing an architect to improve the church, but contented themselves with various repairs. Finally, however, in 1913 they resolved on a complete scheme of restoration, and engaged an eminent Glasgow architect, Mr. Macgregor Chalmers, to prepare plans.

Mr. Chalmers's plans were accepted by the Heritors in November 1913 and approved by the Presbytery of Ayr in February 1914. The estimated cost was £2,000, but expenses rose after the outbreak of World War I. The total expenditure in the end was £2,701-16-0; most of this was paid by the Heritors, the congregation subscribing £727 and the Baird Trust £200. The restoration was very thorough. It perhaps went a little too far, impairing the 18th century character of the church. New windows in the English style, with small leaded panes, were substituted for the old Scots sash-windows (recently replaced); the original harling of the outer walls, which the Heritors' Records show was white-washed from time to time with "Muirkirk lime," was stripped off (this has also recently been replaced) and the elliptical stone arch over the Bargany loft disappeared. But four long-standing complaintsóstuffiness, darkness, dampness, and lack of seating roomówere very practically dealt with. The ceiling was taken out, and as the roof timbers were found to be badly worm-eaten the church received a complete new roof covered with Ballachulish slates. The remaining Heritors' private rooms were abolished and their lofts, which had formerly met at the corners, were set well back. There was thus much more air space. The south gable was rebuilt and the Bargany aisle was lengthened by 10 feet and lit by a new tall round-headed window facing east. The two other gables were also rebuilt and the old "fore-stairs" eliminated. Gas lighting was installed. The church got a complete new floor, with asphalt underneath. The old pews, described as "too high, too narrow, and too straight in the back," were replaced by new ones of pitch-pine "of the most modern and comfortable pattern." A vestry was added adjoining the west gable.

Finally, Mr. Chalmers designed a new pulpit and Communion Table, as well as an iron gate to be erected in front of the tower door. The pulpit was set beside a window to give it a better light. The work was finished in the spring of 1915, when the inside walls (which a hundred years before had been pale blue) were painted 'a light ivory'. In 1920 they were repainted a light grey."
[The Story of Our Church - Sir James Fergusson of Kilkerran, Bart.1966]

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Close, Rob and Riches, Anne2012The Buildings of Scotland: Ayrshire & Arran New Haven and London: Yale University Pressp268