Basic Site Details

Name: UP Church
Town, district or village: Rathillet
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: Fifeshire Journal, 8 April 1859, p8: "The building is a fine specimen of the decorated period of Gothic architecture, and adds not a little to the celebrity of the architects, Messrs Edward and Robertson, Dundee, who have already distinguished themselves in other structures. It is 60 feet long by 40 feet wide over walls, and contains about 300 sittings, besides vestry and classroom accommodation. The class-room staircase, at the south-east corner of the building, forms a tower which, carried up a considerable height, is finished with a slate spire, surmounted by a gilded vane. The summit of the tower is octagonal, and has openings, with luffer [louver] boarding for the bell. The entrance door opens into a lobby, 20 feet long by 9 and half feet wide, from which the church is entered by two doors leading into passages which run through the church, and connect a cross passage in front of pulpit-platform. This platform is raised two feet above the church floor, and is furnished with an elegant wooden rail, corresponding in design with the pulpit rail and platform seats. The pulpit is of simple design, the top parts and book board being covered with crimson cloth, with fringes and tassels. The roof is of open timber work, ceiled a few feet below the apex. The south end, into which the clock case is introduced, is also framed of open timber work, and all the timbers are stained and varnished. The three windows in the north end, where the pulpit is situated, are of coloured glass, and the other windows have stained glass borders, which gives a pleasing effect to the interior. Provision has also been made for heating the church, on the principal of the improved plan adopted by Mr John Douglas of Cupar."

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 2April 1859 Contracts advertised 
Item 2 of 2August 1860 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Charles EdwardArchitectA18591860 
Item 2 of 3Edward & RobertsonArchitectural practiceA18591860 
Item 3 of 3Thomas Saunders RobertsonArchitectA18591860 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Fifeshire Journal8 April 1859  p8
Item 2 of 2Fifeshire Journal16 August 1860   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Courtesy of David WeekesInformation via 'Contact Us' on website Sent August 2012