Basic Site Details

Name: Middle Meadow Walk gatepiers
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B listed
Grid ref:
Notes: The gatepiers were built by public subscription in the 1840s but were not completed as planned due to insufficient funds. The original design planned four pillars with the two central ones to be surmounted by unicorns. When the required funds were not fully raised, only the central pillars were built and without the planned unicorns. In 1849, George Smith, (1793-1877) architect and designer of the pillars appealed to Edinburgh Town Council to help finance the completion of the gatepiers. The Council agreed to pay Mr Handyside Ritchie, sculptor, 55 for the erection of the unicorns on top of the two pillars. The unicorns are carved from Binny freestone. (HS list description)

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Gateway  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Middle Meadow Walk  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11848 Build/construction 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1George SmithArchitectA1848  

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Public Monuments and Sculpture website www.pmsa.org.uk   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register27928