Basic Site Details

Name: Westerton Garden Suburb: 66-68 Maxwell Avenue
Town, district or village: Westerton, Bearsden
City or county: Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Built originally as the village shop and store with a small flat over, it was taken over by the Westerton Garden Suburb Co-operative Society in 1915. It later became a butcher’s (?) when a larger co-operative store was built on the adjoining site in 1935-1936. Both shops closed in 1984.

The original memorial stone for the Garden Suburb, laid in 1913, is built into the wall of this building. The building is not listed.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 2Shop  
Item 2 of 2Flat  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 166-68, Maxwell Avenue  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11913(?) Build/construction 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1John Alexander William GrantArchitect, Architectural practice 1913(?) atrib

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow Garden Suburb Tenants Ltd 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1East Dunbartonshire Council2011See Westerton Garden Suburb: Conservation Area Appraisal