Basic Site Details

Name: Glen Tanar Estate, Lodge, Stables, etc.
Town, district or village: Glentanar
City or county: Aberdeenshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: On 14 July1869 Amy Brooks, daughter of Sir William Cunliffe Brooks MP, of Manchester, married Charles Gordon, the 11th Marquis on Huntly. In the same year Sir William leased the Glen Tanar, part of the Aboyne Castle Estate, from his new son-in-law and immediately set about the transformation of his estate, employing George Truefitt as architect, and, it is said, a workforce of 250 masons to construct the buildings, built of locally quarried granite.

By 1874 the Glen Tanar House had been rebuilt as had a number of lodges and cottages on the estate. Besides erecting thirty miles of deer fencing, Sir William Brooks had created miles of new roads, and straightened and levelled miles of old ones, Bridges of stone and iron and wooden rustic bridges had been built and attention given to the water course. Meanwhile Truffitt had been “putting up quaint little stables and huts in out-of-the-way places.”in addition to the new buildings in the vicinity of Glen Tanar House

Included in the description of Truefitt’s work on the estate before 1874 but not included separately in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects were the following:

Lodge at Deer Fence
A square building, with roofs hipped all ways. [Aberdeen Journal/Builder 19 September 1874 p791-792]

Existent with single storey extensions on each side

Additions and Alterations: One-story Cottage
On the drive from the tower lodge to the main house, A new wing was added at the end, at right angles to the original building, and with gable in front. The old part has had a projecting window added, and new frames and sashes. The new wing contains a scullery, etc, and here as in all the cottages erected by Mr Brooks, water was laid on from the hills in pipes and taken to the sinks, where there were no taps, the water running constantly, day and night. [Aberdeen Journal/Builder 19 September 1874 p791-792]

This building has not been identified and may have been demolished

Stables etc
We now turn off to the stabling, which is very extensive. Stables, loose boxes, coach house, harness room, cleaning places, etc, - all with plenty of room and of good height; also two cottages. The stables have water always running and the, and the buildings are in the same simple but effective style as all the other buildings in the glen. We see the architect likes to keep his walls low and his roofs high - a sure way of getting effect when the proportion is good. [Aberdeen Journal/Builder 19 September 1874 p791-792]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 3Lodge  
Item 2 of 3Cottage  
Item 3 of 3Stable  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11869Before 1874Build/construction 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1George TruefittArchitect 1869Before 1874 

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Brooks, Sir William Cunliffe 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder19 September 1874  pp791-792 Reprinted from Aberdeen Journal