Basic Site Details

Name: Borrowstone House
Town, district or village: Kincardine O’Neil
City or county: Aberdeenshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Borrowstone House, “a spacious mansion,” was situated on the north side of the valley near the north Deeside Road.

Our first visit was to Borrowstone, Kincardine O’Neil, - Captain Hart’s residence. Here some three years ago, Mr Truefitt altered the old house, adding a new dining and drawing room, some more bedrooms, bath, etc., and joining the new to the old work by a low wing, fortunately, for a fire occurred this spring, and burnt the whole of the old place to the ground, the low building being the means of preserving the new. The rubbish has now been cleared away, and new works are in progress, in the same style as the rooms erected three years ago. We may here remark that, in Mr Truefitt’s buildings, we do not get that horridly cold appearance which we have in our Union Street, where the chief aim seems to be to get every stone as white as possible, and as smooth. He on the contrary gets his stones as varied in colour as he can, and with the exception of the “dressings,” the work is as rough as possible - not rough work but stones of random sizes, and rough on the face. The result is that he gets a great variety of colour, and a deal of light and shade, even on a plain wall. The paint of his frames and sashes is of a warm yellowish colour, which adds much to the general effect, and again gets rid of cold appearances. [Aberdeen Journal/Builder 19 September 1874 p791-792]

Assumed demolished

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Country House  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 21871 Addition 
Item 2 of 21874 ReconstructionPartial rebuilding after fire

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1George TruefittArchitect 18711874Extension (1871) and partial rebuilding after fire (1874)

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Hart, Captain 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder19 September 1874  p791-792 Taken from Aberdeen Journal

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmoreID282719