Basic Site Details

Name: Scandinavian Sailors’ Home, West India Docks
Town, district or village: Poplar/Limehouse
City or county: London
Country: England
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Listed Grade II

Built as an officers’ annex to Riverside House, the Scandinavian Sailors’ Temperance Home of 1887-1888. Money was raised in Scandinavia through the support of the Swedish royal family and a government loan of £3,500. Count C Lewenhaupt, the Swedish and Norwegian ambassador to Britain, laid the foundation stone on 6 August 1902 and the building was completed early 1903, but at a cost considerably over the estimates. In 1929, their original function all but ended, the two buildings were transferred to the Salvation Army and altered internally to form the East London Hostel for Homeless Men, opened 18 February 1930. The Hostel closed in June 2003 and Riverside House demolished. The Architectural Review of 1903 contained a description as follows:

The new building contains twenty-one bedrooms, a commodious hall, sitting and writing rooms for officers, and a large café. The building is faced in yellow stocks and red bricks. The roof is covered with Tibertwaite green slates. The structure was erected on concrete piers reaching from the gravel bottom through a stratum of waterlogged dock mud about 12 feet deep. The builders were Messrs Harris and Wordrof of Limehouse and Mr W Heathcote was Clerk of Works. Messrs Niven and Wigglesworth are the architects. [Architectural Review Volume 14 July-Dec 1903 p35]

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2East London Hostel for Homeless Men 1930-2003 with Riverside House
Item 2 of 2Grieg HouseYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Hostel Salvation Army Hostel 1930-2003

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 120, Garford Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 26 August 1902 Foundation stoneFoundation stone laid
Item 2 of 2Early 1903 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3David Barclay NivenArchitect 19021903 
Item 2 of 3Herbert Hardy WigglesworthArchitect 19021903 
Item 3 of 3Niven & WigglesworthArchitectural practice 19021903 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Architectural Review1903v 14 July-Dec 1903 p35 with photograph and plans.