Basic Site Details

Name: Royal Caledonian School
Town, district or village: Bushey
City or county: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Architect F W Troup FRIBA
The Governors of the Royal Caledonian School have under consideration plans for an enlargement of the school buildings. The architect is Mr F W Troup FRIBA. [Builder 23 January 1925 p170]

The Caledonian Asylum was formed to provide shelter and education for Scottish children in London who had been orphaned in the Napoleonic Wars. In 1826 it moved to Copenhagen Fields, Islington where it would remain for the rest of the century. In 1852 Queen Victoria became Patron and the Asylum was renamed the Royal Caledonian Schools. At that time it catered for about 70 boys and 50 girls. By the late 19th century the Islington site was considered no longer suitable, and a new boarding school was built in Bushey, Hertfordshire. The Royal Caledonian offered education until 1948, after which resident children received their education at local schools. In 1996 the premises were sold to the Purcell School.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1School  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11925 ProposedExtensions

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Francis William TroupArchitect 19241925Enlargement of school premises

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Governors of the Royal Caledonian School 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder23 January 1925  p170