Basic Site Details

Name: Scottish National Zoological Park, Monkey House
Town, district or village: Corstorphine
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Estimated cost 2,600

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Edinburgh Zoo  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Zoo  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Corstorphine Road  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11929 Plans approvedWarrant granted by Dean of Guild Court

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2(Sir) Frank Charles MearsArchitect 1929  
Item 2 of 2Mears & Carus-WilsonArchitectural practice 1929  

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Zoological Society of Scotland 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Scottish National Zoological ParkThe Royal Zoological Society of Scotland was founded in 1909 by Thomas Gillespie, an Edinburgh lawyer. Within four years the Society has sufficient support and funding to purchase an 85 acre site to the west of Edinburgh, for 17,000, with assistance from Edinburgh City Council. Gillespie took for his model the so-called 'open zoo' at Hamburg, designed by Carl Hagenbeck. Instead of bars and cages, Edinburgh Zoo was designed from the outset to have large, open enclosures, using ditches and moats to separate the animals from the visitors.

By April 1913 Patrick Geddes, and his son-in-law Frank Mears had prepared a Report and preliminary plans for laying out the zoological gardens, and work on construction of the pools for polar bears and seals, aviaries, and enclosures for wolves, monkeys bars and lions was commenced immediately. Edinburgh Zoo was opened to the public on 22 July 1913, and was incorporated by Royal Charter later that year.

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder15 February 1929  p360 - warrant granted