Basic Site Details

Name: Lochend Colliery Canteen
City or county: Lanarkshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Lochend Colliery Pit No 5 was opened by the Brownside Coal Company Limited in 1880 and closed in 1948. The Gazetteer of NCB Mines (NMRS, MS 819) records that Lochend No. 5 had a washer and a canteen in 1948, corresponding with two of the structures recorded by Canmore.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Canteen  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11944 Proposed 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2George Arthur & SonArchitectural practice 1944  
Item 2 of 2John Maurice ArthurArchitect 1944  

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Brownside Coal Company Limited 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder7 April 1944  p289

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmoreCanmore ID 83459Lochend Colliery Pit No 5