Basic Site Details

Name: Steading, Linkwood Farm
Town, district or village: Elgin (near)
City or county: Moray
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: New steading has just been erected on the farm at Linkwood, near Elgin, belonging to Earl Seafield, for the use of the tenant, Mr Eric Sunderland. The buildings are Gothic in character, and have been erected in freestone, with slated roofs, except the court, 132 feet by 66 feet, which is covered with corrugated iron. The floors to stables and cow-byres, poultry-houses, and piggeries, are of cement concrete, scored in squares to prevent slipping. The steading accommodates 104 head of cattle, with arrangements for extensions, should they be necessary. Messrs Matthews and Mackenzies, of Elgin, were the architects; and the contractors were : Masons, Messrs Dow and Ray, of Rothes; carpenter, Mr Jas. Mitchell, Keith; slater, Mr Alex. Stewart, Aberlow; plasterers, Messrs Maciver and Yourice, Elgin; plumber, Mr J Gordon, Elgin; concrete work, M. G. Ogilvie, Elgin; and ironwork, Messrs Abemethy and Co., Ferryhill, Aberdeen. [Building News 16 July 1880 p82]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Steading  


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11880 Build/construction 


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Alexander Marshall MackenzieArchitect 1880  
Item 2 of 3James MatthewsArchitect 1880  
Item 3 of 3Matthews & MackenzieArchitectural practice 1880  


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 1Walker, David W and Woodworth, Matthew2015The Buildings of Scotland: Aberdeenshire North and Moray Yale University Pressp612

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News16 July 1880  p82