Basic Site Details

Name: Glenlair Bridge
Town, district or village: Corsock
City or county: Dumfries-shire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: A whinstone arch bridge of 45 feet span and 16 feet overall width carrying the road to Glenlair House across the Urr Water in the tradition of Telford’s Highland bridges. Commissioned by his cousin, James Clark Maxwell, the bridge was built in 1861–62 whilst William Dyce Cay was an assistant in the office of B. & E. Blyth working on the Castle Douglas to Portpatrick Railway.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Bridge  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 118611862Build/construction 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1William Dyce CayEngineer 18611862 

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Maxwell, James ClerkOf Glenlair House

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Paxton, Rowland, and Shipway, Jim2007Civil Engineering Heritage Scotland Lowlands and Borders   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmore 277231