Basic Site Details

Name: United Presbyterian Church
Town, district or village: Moffat
City or county: Dumfriesshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Moffat, N. B.—The foundation stone of a new United Presbyterian Church was laid on Friday last. The building is to be in the Middle Pointed Gothic style, and promises to be an ornament to the town. [Building News 12 September 1862 p204]

MOFFAT.-The United Presbyterian church of Moffat, the laying of the foundation stone of which we briefly noticed last week, is to be built in the Gothic or Middle-pointed style of architecture, and, from its admirable position, will form a conspicuous and picturesque object in this romantic and interesting district. Messrs. W. and J. Hay, of Liverpool, are the architects ; Mr. John Murray, of Moffat, the contractor for the mason work ; and Mr W Deans, joiner, Selkirk, is the contractor for the joiner's work. The materials of which it is to be built are the grey whinstone from the quarries on the neighbouring hills, built in rubble, and the dressed masonry is to be of white and red freestone, tastefully arranged, so as to produce a lively and harmonious effect. The nave and aisle arrangement has been adopted, with a massive and well-proportioned tower and spire at the south-west angle, and vestry and other class rooms, and session-house at the east end. The west door will be large and massive, with moulded jambs, aud shafts of polished grey granite, carrying a moulded arch of red and white freestone. Over this is a large traceried window, filling up the west gable. Passing through the central hall, with flights of stairs on each side to the galleries, the interior of the church will be entered, the nave of which will be separated from the aisles by iron columns supporting tho roof and clerestory, as well as the galleries on the sides and end. All the woodwork of the roofs will be exposed to view, and, along with the pewing and other woodwork, will be clean varnished on the natural colour of the wood. Accommodation will be provided for about 700 worshippers, a minister's and ladies’ vestry and session-house occupy the place behind the pulpit, and over these will be a large room for prayer meetings and Sabbath-school, separated from the church by a large archway and curtain, so that it can be available for a portion of the congregation on crowded Sundays, or during the summer season. The work is now proceeding with great rapidity, and the whole building is intended to be completed by the month of June next year. [Building News 19 September 1862 Page 223]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 118621863Build/constructionFoundation stone laid September 1862, anticipated completion June 1863

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3William Hardie HayArchitect 1861  
Item 2 of 3James Murdoch HayArchitect 1862  
Item 3 of 3W & J HayArchitectural practice 1862  

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Building News12 September 1862  p204
Item 2 of 2Building News19 September 1862  p224