Basic Site Details

Name: Tulloch Castle, Caisteal Gorach
Town, district or village: Dingwall
City or county: Ross and Cromarty
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: A listed
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Tulloch Castle, Folly  
Item 2 of 2Tulloch Hill, Caisteal Gorach  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Folly  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 217891790Plans dated 
Item 2 of 21890 Alterations and additions(?)Restoration/alterations? (Or were these to Tulloch Castle itself rather than this folly?)

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Robert AdamArchitect 17891790 
Item 2 of 3James McLellan FairleyArchitectB1890 Restoration/alterations? (Or were these to Tulloch Castle itself rather than this folly?)
Item 3 of 3Thomas Greenshields LeadbetterArchitectB1890 Restoration/alterations? (Or were these to Tulloch Castle itself rather than this folly?)

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings RegisterHB NUM 24520 
Item 2 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSCowie and Seaton Collection CSE 1890/9/1 - drawings of detailing to dormer windows by 'Leadbetter, Fairley & Reid' - possibly for Tulloch Castle itself rather than the folly?
Item 3 of 4Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmore69613 
Item 4 of 4Soane MuseumSoane Museum Collection Robert Adam plans dated 1 May 1789, 20 Aug 1789 and 28 April 1796 (copies in NMRS/RCAHMS)