Basic Site Details

Name: St Peter's Mission Church
City or county: Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: This new church, now building in Carrick- street, is rapidly progressing toward completion. The ground floor of the buildings is occupied by a large school-room to the front, and by a sessions house, vestry and other conveniences in the rear, the church itself being on the first floor, and extending over these: it will measure 70 feet 6 inches in length by 42 feet inches in breadth, by 40 feet in height from floor to apex of roof, the ground-floor being 13 feet clear, giving a total height of front wall from pavement to gable top of 55 feet. The church has galleries on three sides supported on iron columns, and is lighted by large four-light windows in the front and back gables, and by single lights under the galleries. The area and galleries are reached by two staircases at either end of a wide corridor which runs through the building along the south wall. The building is in the Early English style, plain and simple almost to severity. A high pitched gable terminates the front wall, and is filled with a large four-light window, having wide chamfered mullions, the arched head being filled with one large round light, with plate tracery. Under this window an arcade is carried along the front, in which are placed single lights, which light the church under the galleries. The school-room on the ground floor is lighted by plain arch-headed windows arranged in couples under these. The entrance door is at the south of the front and opens on the corridor; it is but slightly relieved by mouldings, and is wanting in due importance. The roof is formed with braced principals, resting on stone corbels, the underside of roof spars being plastered, leaving the principals and purlins exposed; these, with the pews which are open, are intended to be varnished. The church will contain sittings for 865, and the total expense of buildings, exclusive of the price of ground, we believe will be 2,200. The architects are Messrs Campbell, Douglas and John J. Stevenson of Glasgow. Mr John Rennie is the contractor for the mason work, and Mr James Connell, the contractor for the joiner work. [Building News 13 December 1861 p981]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Carrick Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 118611862Build/construction 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Campbell DouglasArchitect, Valuer 18611862 
Item 2 of 3Campbell Douglas & StevensonArchitectural practice 18611862 
Item 3 of 3John James StevensonArchitect 18611862 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News13 December 1861  p981- New Churches in Glasgow