Basic Site Details

Name: Southport Hydropathic
Town, district or village: Southport
City or county: Lancashire
Country: England
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Developed by the Southport Hotel Company (funded mainly by Manchester merchants), the Birkdale Palace Hotel was built on a 20 acre site at the end of Weld Road, fronting the Birkdale shore.

In 1881 the hotel was completely refurbished and the grounds were reduced to five acres. A variety of baths were installed, with a pipe built to draw in salt water from the sea. It re-opened with over 60 staff, as a Hydropathic establishment to rival the very successful Smedley Hydro. Later, electric lighting was installed, produced by a steam driven generator.

Its final owners went into liquidation in 1967 and the building was demolished in 1969.

1914 Additions. Tender of J Parkinson and Company Limited Blackpool, accepted. Cost approximately 20,000

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Hydropathic  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 21880 Build/construction 
Item 2 of 21914 Tenders submittedAdditions

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2Mangnall & LittlewoodsArchitectural practice 1880  
Item 2 of 2James MillerArchitect 1914 Additions

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1British Architect17 July 1914  p ix - tenders