|The Beach Ballroom||To increase the amenities and attractiveness of the beach, Aberdeen Town Council invited competitive designs for a beach improvement scheme including the erection of a dance hall to accommodate 500 and a restaurant to seat 250.|
It is not absolutely certain that the work done by Gardner was on this building - it may have been a quite separate structure.
Star Ballroom probably by George Keith City Architect, 1961-4; renovated 1970s.
'It was built as part of the 'Beach Improvement
Scheme', at a cost of £50,000, to the winning design in a competition held by Aberdeen Town Council. It replaced an 1882 timber pavilion, perhaps the inspiration for the unusual roof design. The official opening on 23 May 1929 took the form of a masked ball and carnival with costumes ranging from Louis XIV's Court to Sioux Indians and shepherdesses. During World War II, the building was commandeered by the Admiralty, and re-opened at Christmas 1946. The ballroom floor, which floats on 1400 steel springs, was originally made of maple and was replaced in 1955.' (HS)