Basic Site Details

Name: ABC2 Cinema, Sauchiehall Street
City or county: Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Opened in October 1967 in a large brick extension adjacent to the original cinema (re-named ABC1). The ABC2 cinema had 922 seats on a single level in stadium style, with a deeply curved screen, full 70mm facilities and and a fully licensed bar, built at a cost of approximately £250,000.

It is considered the first new cinema to open in Scotland after the Second World War.


Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Cinema  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1286-326, Sauchiehall Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1October 1967 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Cecil Jack FosterArchitectJ19631967 
Item 2 of 3Leslie C NortonArchitectJ19631967Job architect?
Item 3 of 3Leslie C Norton & C J FosterArchitectural practiceJ19631967May not have been a formal partnership

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Associated British Cinemas Limited 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1PanoramaCast-iron façade supplied by Walter MacFarlane & Co

An application by Associated British Cinemas Limited to reconstruct the premises occupied by the Waldorf dance hall in Sauchiehall Street for the purposes of a picture house has come before the Glasgow Dean of Guild Court. The proposed alterations include the erection of a new frontage. Mr Charles J McNair is architect for the work. [Builder 8 March 1929 p491]

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1www.scottishcinemas.org.uk www.scottishcinemas.org.uk Scottish Cinemas website and database