Basic Site Details

Name: Saugton Park Sports Pavilion
Town, district or village: Saughton Park
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: This pavilion is a prominent object, viewed from the railway from Edinburgh to Glasgow and the north. The Park of Saughton belongs to the Corporation of Edinburgh, and extends to about 100 acres, acquired some years ago at a cost of 55,000. The northern section is allocated to golf, football, and cricket. This building, therefore, is devoted to accommodating in a central position those taking part in these sports. The grounds devoted to football and cricket are made interchangeable, so that the building and sports area can be used in combination, these games being played, of course, at different times of the year. The pavilion is built of brick, and roughcast. Ruabon tiles are used on the roof, and all woodwork is painted white. The upper floor is allocated to the green-keeper. The building cost about 1,000, and was carried out to plans and under the supervision of the architect to the Corporation, Mr. James A. Williamson, ARIBA.
[Reference Building News 17 January 1917]

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1James Anderson WilliamsonArchitect 1917 City Architect

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News17 January 1917  p64 with illustrations - plan and perspective