Basic Site Details

Name: Town House
Town, district or village: Stirling
City or county: Stirlingshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Broad Street  
Item 2 of 2Jail Wynd  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 417031705Alterations and additions 
Item 2 of 41710 Alterations and additionsAlterations to the 'court place' in the tolbooth.
Item 3 of 41785 AdditionExtension to east in simple palladian style
Item 4 of 41999 Restoration 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 6(Sir) William Bruce ArchitectB17031705 
Item 2 of 6Alexander McGillArchitectD1710 Alterations to the 'court place' in tolbooth.
Item 3 of 6Gideon GrayArchitect, MasonC1785 Provided design for extension to east in simple Palladian style.
Item 4 of 6Andrew Stewart BrownArchitect, Surveyora1999 Restoration
Item 5 of 6James Walter Thorburn Simpson A1999 Restoration
Item 6 of 6Simpson & BrownArchitectural practiceA1999 Restoration

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Colvin, Howard2008A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 London: YUP. 4th edition 
Item 2 of 4Gifford, John and Walker, Frank Arneil2002Stirling and Central Scotland (The Buildings of Scotland) New Haven and London: Yale University Pressp716
Item 3 of 4RCAHMS1996Tolbooths and Town-Houses: Civic Architecture in Scotland to 1833 London: The Stationery Officep186
Item 4 of 4Renwick (ed.)1889Extracts from the Records of the Royal Burgh of Stirling  p122 and cf 188 and 194 for Mcgill's advice about the navigability of the River Forth.