|5 September 1958|| ||Proposed||'A contract valued at £870,000 for erecting new buildings for the Department of Chemistry...has been awarded to Richard Costain, Ltd. |
The main building will be a three-storey structure in reinforced concrete, the external cladding generally of metal windows with facing brick panels, Westmorland slate cladding and a tooled face to the exposed concrete columns and beams. Overall size is 290 ft. by 165 ft....
An inner courtyard will contain a link block and single-storey lecture theatres with basement.
The first portion...will be finished in June, 1960, and the whole contract is scheduled for completion later in that year.' per Builder p395