|Longmore Hospital for Incurables||The hospital was extended in two main phases, an eastern wing in 1891 and a western wing in 1896-1899. The opening of the western wing was recorded in Building News, but not without inaccuracy - |
The new wing of the Longmore Hospital for Incurables at Edinburgh was formally opened by the Duchess of Buccleugh on the 5th inst. It is the third * enlargement of the present building, erected in 1878, forms an eastern* (sic) wing, contains four large and four minor wards, and raises the accommodation from 70 to 100 beds. A new laundry, chapel, kitchen, and mortuary have also been added to the institution, the total cost of the present extension being £25,000. [Building News 13 January 1899 p78]
* This was the second main extension to the hospital, although Building News may have counted separately a minor western extension constucted during the first phase.
* Examination of the original drawings has confirmed that this notice should refer to the western wing