Basic Site Details

Name: Balgonie Colliery
Town, district or village: Markinch
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Julian Pit  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 3Colliery  
Item 2 of 3Engine house  
Item 3 of 3Transit shed  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 71888  Workshops and offices
Item 2 of 71899  Brickwork
Item 3 of 71907  Power house and detail of its roof
Item 4 of 71908  Proposed offices and boundary wall
Item 5 of 71910  Engine house
Item 6 of 71913  Oriels
Item 7 of 7c. 1922  Locomotive shed.

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectD1886 Workshops and offices
Item 2 of 18James ScottArchitectD1886 Workshops and offices - as assistant
Item 3 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceA1898 Brickwork
Item 4 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectA1898 Brickwork
Item 5 of 18James ScottArchitectA1898 Brickwork
Item 6 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceC1907 Power house and detail of its roof
Item 7 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectC1907 Power house and detail of its roof
Item 8 of 18James ScottArchitectC1907 Power house and detail of its roof
Item 9 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceE1908 Proposed offices and boundary wall
Item 10 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectE1908 Proposed offices and boundary wall
Item 11 of 18James ScottArchitectE1908 Proposed offices and boundary wall
Item 12 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceF1910 Engine house
Item 13 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectF1910 Engine house
Item 14 of 18James ScottArchitectF1910 Engine house
Item 15 of 18Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceB1913 Oriels
Item 16 of 18James Ross GillespieArchitectB1913 Oriels
Item 17 of 18James ScottArchitectB1913 Oriels
Item 18 of 18Andrew David HaxtonArchitectGc. 1922 Locomotive shed.

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSHaxton & Watson Collection HW 1920/22/1
Item 2 of 3Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmore134132 
Item 3 of 3St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundle nos 31, 905, 977, 1000, 1167, 1360 (also 00/39?)