The old infirmary was demolished in 1909 and for the next 90 years the City Council debated possible uses before finally laying out new gardens to replace the “temporary” arrangements. Among the various proposals were the Art Gallery and Library for which an architectural competition was held in 1911 and a new cathedral.
The following date-based events are associated with this building:
Design and Construction
The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.