Basic Site Details

Name: St Andrews Masonic Lodge, No 25
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Above Council Chambers. See separate entry for new hall which may be on a separate site.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Masonic hall  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1166, South StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 21897   
Item 2 of 21903  Sketch of dome and painterwork

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5David HenryArchitectA1897  
Item 2 of 5Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceA1897  
Item 3 of 5Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceB1903 Sketch of dome and painterwork
Item 4 of 5James Ross GillespieArchitectB1903 Sketch of dome and painterwork
Item 5 of 5James ScottArchitectB1903 Sketch of dome and painterwork

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1St Andrews Free Masons 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1St Andrews Town HallSt. Andrews' (N.B.) Town Hall—A new town-hall has just been erected in St. Andrews from the designs of Mr. James A Hamilton, of Edinburgh, and forms one of the most interesting features of the fine old town, The structure is in the old Scotch baronial style, and along with the bold and picturesque effect of the style it combines all the convenience and appliances of modern art. The entrance corridor and staircase are capacious and imposing. The Council Hall is 38 feet in length, by 24 in breadth, and 18 in height. The Great Hall is 75 feet long, 36 feet broad, and 28 feet high. The lobby of this hall is divided into 11 compartments by large ribs, each having three highly-enriched pendants and massive corbelling. Each compartment is varied by a novel arrangement of flat and sloping planes surrounded by large mouldings, and in the centre of each, on a lozenge-shaped panel, is a shield charged with national emblems. The structure altogether measures about 130 feet by 90 feet. The external elevation is enriched with various shields, devices, and coats of arms. [Building News 31 May 1861 p447]

Building supervised by Peter Manuel from Playfair's office. Reconstruction by Pride & Walker cost £75,000

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)p43

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Messrs Walker & Pride architectsDavid Henry, 'Business Book, 1884-1914'  
Item 2 of 2St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundle no 415