Basic Site Details

Name: 1 South Street
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: A Listed
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1The RoundelYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 11, South StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 31500s or 1600s   
Item 2 of 31894  Alterations
Item 3 of 31890s or 1900s or 1910s  Alterations? (undated drawings)

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5David HenryArchitectA1894 Alterations
Item 2 of 5Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceA1894 Alterations
Item 3 of 5Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceB1890s or 1900s or 1910s Alterations?
Item 4 of 5James Ross GillespieArchitectB1890s or 1900s or 1910s Alterations?
Item 5 of 5James ScottArchitectB1890s or 1900s or 1910s Alterations?

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)p 42

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register40600 
Item 2 of 3Messrs Walker & Pride architectsDavid Henry, 'Business Book, 1884-1914'  
Item 3 of 3St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundle no 1544