Basic Site Details

Name: Greenhill Villa
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The hospital first opened in rented premises at 33 Abbey Street in 1865; then moved to Greenhill Villa, Abbotsford Place/Greyfriars Garden, in the late 1870s, before moving to a new building in Abbey Walk (see separate entry).

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1St Andrews Cottage Hospital From 1877 to 1902

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Villa  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Abbotsford Place(?)Yes 
Item 2 of 2Greyfriars GardenYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 31877  Reconstruction as cottage hospital
Item 2 of 31887  Additions
Item 3 of 31894  Further additions

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4David HenryArchitectA1887 Additions
Item 2 of 4Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceA1887 Additions
Item 3 of 4David HenryArchitectB1894 Further additions
Item 4 of 4Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceB1894 Further additions

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Cant, Ronald Gordon1980Public Buildings of St Andrews II St Andrews Preservation Trust Annual Report, 1980p 14
Item 2 of 2Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)p 42

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Messrs Walker & Pride architectsDavid Henry, 'Business Book, 1884-1914'