Basic Site Details

Name: Clifton Bank
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: See separate entry for St Katherine's Lodge, 14 The Scores, also by Jesse Hall - it appears The Scores must have been renumbered.

The location of the workshop and cycle shed of 1912 is not given in the Gillespie & Scott lists, but since the client was William Mair and the entry is adjacent to that for the gymnasium at Clifton Bank, it is here assumed that the workshop and cycle shed were at the same location.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1CliftonbankYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House(?)  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 114-16, The ScoresYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 5March 1856July 1856 Contract drawings dated
Item 2 of 51904  Alterations
Item 3 of 51909  Fittings etc in laboratory, access to east of house
Item 4 of 51911  Gymnasium
Item 5 of 51912  Workshop and cycle shed

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 13Jesse HallArchitect 1856  
Item 2 of 13Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceB1904 Alterations
Item 3 of 13James Ross GillespieArchitectB1904 Alterations
Item 4 of 13James ScottArchitectB1904 Alterations
Item 5 of 13Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceE1909 Fittings etc in laboratory, access to east of house
Item 6 of 13James Ross GillespieArchitectE1909 Fittings etc in laboratory, access to east of house
Item 7 of 13James ScottArchitectE1909 Fittings etc in laboratory, access to east of house
Item 8 of 13Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceC1911 Gymnasium
Item 9 of 13James Ross GillespieArchitectC1911 Gymnasium
Item 10 of 13James ScottArchitectC1911 Gymnasium
Item 11 of 13Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceD1912 Workshop and cycle shed
Item 12 of 13James Ross GillespieArchitectD1912 Workshop and cycle shed
Item 13 of 13James ScottArchitectD1912 Workshop and cycle shed

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 2Mair, W, EsqClient for work between 1904 and 1912
Item 2 of 2Paterson, JOriginal client

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)pp 35 & 37

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundle nos 678, 1044, 1048, 1239, 1240, 1537, 1821