|Blairs College||St Mary’s College, Blairs, was founded in 1829 when a local landowner, John Menzies of Pitfodels (1756-1843), donated his mansion and estate of 1000 acres to the Catholic Church. The house became a seminary for Catholic boys who wished to become priests. Due to growing numbers a new three-storey college was begun in 1897, and was quickly followed by a new chapel. The College, which had been built at a cost of £33,000 , was formally opened on the 23rd September 1903 by Bishop Chisholm|
The college closed in 1986 due to falling numbers and has remained mosty empty since. Blairs Museum, the Museum of Scotland's Catholic Heritage occupies part of the complex and plans have been announced for a £115m hotel
Check if some other part of this is A Listed. Lodge etc is C Listed. New wing to complete extension to cost £12,000 [Builder 1901]
'Buildings of Scotland' states that John Henderson was responsible for a doorway in the hall of the 1892 College and the dado and angle pilasters. This cannot be John Henderson
(1802-1862) but it is not clear which other John Henderson might have been responsible.