Basic Site Details

Name: Peebles Hydropathic, lodge
Town, district or village: Peebles
City or county: Peeblesshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Dates vary in sources (1881: HS List; 1888: Buildings of Scotland).

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Peebles Hotel Hydro LodgeYes 

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Innerleithen RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11881 or 1888   

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1John StarforthArchitect 1881 or 1888  

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Peebles HydropathicCost of original building (by John Starforth) 70,000. This building was burnt down and replaced by James Miller's hotel building.

PEEBLES. - The new Hotel - Hydropathic at Peebles, erected to replace the building destroyed by fire in July, 1905, was opened on Friday night. It occupies the old site east of the town, set high on the north bank of the Tweed. Designed by Mr J. Miller ARSA, Glasgow, it is in the Georgian style, and in that respect presents a marked contrast to the building it has replaced, which was Scots Baronial. The chief elevation shows an H-planned main block with two projecting wings, the total frontage being 210 feet. The accommodation includes a basement and four floors, two of which are placed in the high-pitched roof. In the centre of the main block a bay has been thrown out and balconies formed on first and second floors. It is crowned by a pedimented roof. The main entrance is protected by a domed porte-cochere. On each side of the doorway at the terrace level is a loggia of five arches. The piers of the arcade carry at the first-floor level of the main block a balcony, its sloping glass roof supported by light Doric columns with entablature and dentil blocks. The two wings have oriel windows, with mullions and transoms. Their roofs are of pavilion pattern. The whole of the walls are roughcast, harled, the woodwork is in pure white, and the roof-tiles are of orange red. At the east end, separated by a passage 12 feet in width, bridged over at the first-floor level, is an annexe which contains the dining-hall with kitchen accommodation, and at the back are other annexes for bedrooms and administrative purposes. Marble has been used for the entrance stair and floor of the main corridor, and the woodwork is of Australian Kauri pine stained. A corridor, 2l0 feet long and 13ft. wide, runs the length of the building, communicating at the west end with the conservatory, and at the east end with the dining-hall. The recreation-hall is 100 feet long by 40 ft., with stage at one end. The dining-room is pillared, 80 feet. by 40ft., and 18 feet high, with panelled ceiling. The bedrooms, numbering 200, are on the second and two upper floors. The cost of the building and furnishings has been 70.000. [Building News 29 March 1907 page 452]

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Cruft, Kitty, Dunbar, John and Fawcett, Richard2006Borders (The Buildings of Scotland) New Haven and London: Yale University Pressp 621
Item 2 of 3Groome, Francis H1893Ordnance GazeteerNew ed. p160
Item 3 of 3Starforth, John The architecture of the park   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register39221