Basic Site Details

Name: Newburgh School
Town, district or village: Newburgh
City or county: Aberdeenshire
Country: Scotland
Parish: Foveran
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Originally a school of 1838, converted to ecclesiastical use at the time of erection of new Newburgh School (for which see separate entry).

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Foveran Parish Church  
Item 2 of 2Holyrood ChapelYesFrom c.1882

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Main StreetYes 
Item 2 of 2School RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 41838   
Item 2 of 4c. 1882  Conversion to ecclesiastical use
Item 3 of 41892  Addition of Gothic clock tower
Item 4 of 419061909 Interior reconstructed

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1John RobertsonArchitect 19061909Interior reconstruction

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Groome, Francis H Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-85) Edinburgh, London & Glasgow: Thomas C Jack, Grange Publishing Works 
Item 2 of 2Walker, David W and Woodworth, Matthew2015The Buildings of Scotland: Aberdeenshire North and Moray Yale University Presspp28, 309

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register6797 
Item 2 of 2Rev Cook, Newburgh Chapel & Foveran Church (1991)Correspondence from John Robertson Correspondence regarding interior work