Basic Site Details

Name: Delgaty Castle
Town, district or village: Turriff
City or county: Aberdeenshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: L plan tower house with seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth century additions. Fine surviving sixteenth century painted cellings.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Delgatie CastleYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Castle  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 5Late 1500s Build/constructionDoocot
Item 2 of 5c. 1768 AdditionLong wings flanking tower
Item 3 of 51814 Build/constructionCreation of lake within park
Item 4 of 5c. 1850 Alterations and additionsAdditions -south porch and ballroom bay (or oriel) window
Item 5 of 51957(?)1959Restoration 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 8Conn familyMasonALate 1500s doocot. May have been Alexander Conn, of Auchry.
Item 2 of 8James RobertsonMasonJc. 1768 May have been responsible for wings flanking tower - they are similar to those added to Innes House
Item 3 of 8___Johnstone E1814 Creation of lake within the park
Item 4 of 8A & W ReidArchitectural practiceAc. 1850 'Perhaps' (HS) - south porch and ballroom bay (or oriel) window
Item 5 of 8Alexander ReidArchitectAc. 1850 'Perhaps' (HS) - south porch and ballroom bay (or oriel) window
Item 6 of 8William ReidArchitectAc. 1850 'Perhaps' (HS) - south porch and ballroom bay (oriel) window
Item 7 of 8Leo DurninArchitectB1957(?)1959Consultant architect for the postwar restoration. (Information courtesy of Dr David Walker of the University of Aberdeen).
Item 8 of 8Arthur Thomas Erroll Hay (Sir)ArchitectD19571959Temporary repairs with Leo Durnin as consultant.

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Captain John HayClient for the postwar restoration.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Hay, Sir John2005The Hay of Park Family Amended edition 
Item 2 of 3Historic Scotland Lists     
Item 3 of 3Walker, David W and Woodworth, Matthew2015The Buildings of Scotland: Aberdeenshire North and Moray Yale University Presspp45, 46, 154-161

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register16421