Basic Site Details

Name: Craigleith Poorhouse, probationer's pavilion
Town, district or village: Craigleith
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: This building stood at the main gate to the poorhouse and was probably demolished c.1929 when the site became the Western General Hospital.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 4Craigleith Poor Law Hospital, probationer's pav'n  
Item 2 of 4St Cuthbert's Poor Law Hospital, probationer's pav  
Item 3 of 4St Cuthbert's Poorhouse, probationers' pavilion  
Item 4 of 4Western General HospitalYesThe Western General Hospital has been on this site since 1929.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Pavilion  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1After 1884Before 1906  

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3David McArthyArchitectAAfter 1884Before 1906 
Item 2 of 3John WatsonArchitectAAfter 1884Before 1906 
Item 3 of 3McArthy & WatsonArchitectural practiceAAfter 1884Before 1906 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1St Cuthbert's Poorhouse1880 Extensions - Progress is being made with the work of providing accommodation for close upon 200 additional inmates at the St. Cuthbert's Poorhouse, Edinburgh, the walls of the wings which are to bo added being now above the level of the first floor. After various schemes for the enlargement of the building had been considered, one of those submitted by Messrs D. and J. Bryce, architects, was adopted and proceeded with. This mode of extension consists in the addition of a wing at either end in front of the edifice, the design and arrangement being, of course, in unison with the original design. The actual number of inmates for whom room will be made by the extension is 192, and the cost of the works contracted for is close upon 10,000. [Building News 23 July 1880 p110]

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers John Watson: F v18 p51 no1199 (microfilm reel 12)