Basic Site Details

Name: Palladium Cinema
City or county: Aberdeen
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: The Gaiety Picture House was opened by Dove Paterson on 5 September 1908 in the old St Katherine’s Hall. Altered and refurbished in May-June 1919, it re-opened as the Palladium. The cinema closed in the summer of 1930, proposals to extend the building apparently abandoned.

In 1937, The Aberdeen Picture Palaces Limited proposed the erection of a cinema on the site. [Builder 21 May 1937 Page 1101] but this scheme was not progressed and in August 1937 the building was sold to ABC

It was subsequently demolished for the Regal Cinema. See separate entry

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Gaiety Picture House 1908-1919

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Cinema  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 110, Shiprow  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 31919 Alterations and additionsGaiety Picture House refurbished and re-opened as Palladium
Item 2 of 31930  Proposed extension scheme, seemingly not progressed
Item 3 of 31937 Destruction/demolition 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4John RustArchitect 1919 Gaiety Picture House refurbished and re-opened as Palladium
Item 2 of 4(Captain) Douglas Stuart McMillanArchitectA1930 Proposed extension scheme
Item 3 of 4D & J R McMillanArchitectural practiceA1930 Proposed extension scheme
Item 4 of 4John Ross McMillanArchitectA1930 Proposed extension scheme

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Architect and Building News1930July-Dec p161
Item 2 of 4Builder12 September 1930  p455
Item 3 of 4Builder21 May 1937  p1101
Item 4 of 4Building News18 June 1919  p407 - plans approved by TC

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Courtesy of Neil DarlingtonInformation sent via DSA website Sent June 2009
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Douglas S McMillan: L no 3535 (box 13)