Basic Site Details

Name: Tenterfield House home for girls
Town, district or village: Haddington
City or county: East Lothian
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The two schoolrooms were built in the grounds in 1912 and 1915. The main house was a home for girls and the schoolrooms would have been used to educate them. The bigger of the two schoolrooms was later used as a hall and then an employment exchange. The smaller one was at one point used as a gardener's house. Both still exist today, although not used for anything.

The two schoolrooms were basically paid for by monies from the Christie Bequest, which had built Tenterfield House. Money from this bequest also built Templedean and Carmendean, which were also used as homes.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Children's home  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 41700s Build/constructionOriginal house
Item 2 of 41898 Build/constructionAdditions
Item 3 of 41912 Build/constructionSeparate schoolroom in grounds
Item 4 of 41915 Build/constructionSchool within grounds of house added

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2John Alexander CarfraeArchitectA1898 Additions?
Item 2 of 2John Alexander CarfraeArchitectB1915 School within grounds of house added. Carfrae may also have designed another separate schoolroom in the grounds in 1912.

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Christie Bequest 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Who's Who in Architecture1914    

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Courtesy of Craig StathamInformation sent via Contacts page on DSA website Sent February 2010