Basic Site Details
|Name: ||St John's RC Church |
|Town, district or village: ||Barrhead |
|City or county: ||Glasgow |
|Country: ||Scotland |
|Parish: || |
|Status: || |
|Grid ref: || |
|Notes: ||First scheme by McAnally not executed. |
'The church is of a traditional cruciform plan, the framework consisting of precast reinforced concrete portal frame. External walls are faced with golden brown rustic brick with concrete dressings of granite finish. The main fašade, in contrast, is faced with precast concrete hexagonal shaped slabs of exposed granite. A bell tower is capped by a belfry with patterned grilled openings surmounted by a fleche.
Internal walls are plastered and the ceilings of nave and transepts are of acoustic tiling. The main flooring is of hardwood blocks and the entrance vestibules laid with terrazzo tiling.
Heating is designed for oil-fired low pressure hot water with underfloor heating in the main part of the Church.
A two manual and pedal pipe organ has been installed.
Seating is for 712.' (Souvenir brochure)
Thos. S . Cordiner F.R.I.B.A., and
Mr Donald MacQueen (Master of Works)
Messrs. Wm. McGhee & Son, Main Contractors, and the various other firms who co-operated in the Building.
Building Type Classification
|The building is classified under the following categories:|
| ||Classification||Original classification?||Notes|
|Church|| || |
|The following street addresses are associated with this building:|
| ||Address||Main entrance?||Notes|
|Aurs Road|| || |
|Darnley Road|| ||Darnely or Darnley?|
|The following date-based events are associated with this building:|
| ||From||To||Event type||Notes|
| ||1961||Build/construction|| |
|1841|| ||Build/construction||First RC church in Barrhead. Burnt down 1941.|
|1949|| || ||Plans prepared|
|29 October 1961|| ||Opened||Cordiner's design|
Design and Construction
|The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.|
| ||Name||Role||Partnership Group||From||To||Notes|
|Thomas Smith Cordiner||Architect||B|| ||1961||Plans prepared in the late 1940s|
|Alexander McAnally (sometimes misspelt McNally or Macannally)||Architect|| ||1949|| ||Plans prepared - but scheme not executed. Job went to Cordiner.|
|The following archives hold material relating to this building:|
| ||Source||Archive name||Source catalogue no.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||Alexander McAnally: F no4570 (box 22)|
|Zita Craig, Barrhead||Information via website|| || |